On Mar 20, 2011, at 8:11 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> Hello,
> Having used Lilypond successfully for some instrumental works, I'm
> typesetting a
> song with it. Here's a link to the lilypond source:
> http://paste.pocoo.org/show/356919/ Here's a image as it looks currently:
> http://imgur.com/Afa3q
>
> Two questions: How do I get the hyphens to show? Why does it look like the
> lyrics are "lagging" behind the notes? Can I make them line up better?

Hey Ben,

This is not really a response to your question, but the two things you are
pointing out are actually common behavior in typesetting:

1)      In vocal scores, the hyphens between lyrics disappear when the spacing
is tight.
2)      The lagging you are taking about is also standard practice - I don't
know of any publishers off the top of my head that left-justify their lyrics.

There are work-arounds to both questions you're asking, but before going down
that road, check out scores on http://imslp.org/ and get acquainted with
traditional typographical standards.  They have evolved over centuries
facilitate reading and performance, and messing with them is generally an
uphill battle.

Cheers,
MS