>> The problem is that in this example, there is a collision with the
>> tie, second from the top (d'') and the f# (fis''). Ms. Gould's
>> solution is to "divide" the tie leaving a gap in the tie, so that it
>> doesn't collide. How does one divide a tie with Lilypond?

sorry for the delayed response. Did you try simply to make a White box and then
put it over the tie but behind the note?

I looked at doing that for a piece recently. it worked but I thought it looked
awful. So I used \slurDown and that looked better. It was for some single very
high flute part, so didn't use chords or other voices.

sorry if this was irrelevant.

James