Thank you, Xavier, for your suggestion. I had wondered if there was a solution
which I could apply more generally, but it seems that I will have to deal with
each case separately, guessing what limit to apply to the length of a
MultiMeasureRest.

This still doesn't deal with cases where there are no multi-bar rests. But in
my experience, the only places where that happens, and there is still the risk
that tempo marks might stack, come with something like "rit.... a tempo" where
the rit lasts no longer than about 2 bars. I can solve that, by engraving those
marks as a TextSpanner rather than as tempo indications.

Richard