Hello,
I am brand new to Lilypond and have just spent 90 minutes trying to figure out
how to get a simple piece of input (anything) to convert over and be displayed
as a .pdf file.  I've tried copying bits from the welcome text document into a
new file and then clicking on "Compile" then "Typeset file" and I've tried
typing in the various simple examples that are shown in the tutorials, but what
keeps happening (no matter what I've typed into the text document) is this:

Processing `/Users/travisgould/Desktop/bob's happy
day.ly'Parsing.../Users/travisgould/Desktop/bob's happy day.ly:0: warning: no
\version statement found, please add
\version "2.14.1"
for future compatibilitysuccess: Compilation successfully completed

I've tried adding the \version "2.14.1" command to the text document in various
ways and places, but the same message keeps coming up when I try to compile the
document.  I'm using a MacBook with OS X version 10.5.8.  Any help or direction
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time and for creating lilypond
and making it available for free!
-Travis Gould