Hi Jerod,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Jerod Sommerfeldt <
sommerfeldt.je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using the \rN function for most of the work in my class (and I'm still
> grateful for everyone's help), however, I'm having some issues with
> horizontal alignment.  The following score produces a bassline with roman
> numerals, but I can't seem to get the numerals themselves to horizontally
> align.  I tried several of the \markup commands (like \line and \center),
> and tried the \override DynamicLineSpanner #'Y-extent function to no avail.
>  Is this an easy fix?  I couldn't find anything in the archives and I'm
> probably not using something correctly.
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Jerod
> ----------------------------------
> www.jerodsommerfeldt.com
>

> \include "/Users/jerod_s/Documents/LilyPond/LPScores/rN.ly"

[this file can be found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@gnu.org/msg65314.html ]

The immediate solution to your problem is to add this line:

\override TextScript #'self-alignment-X = #CENTER

If you'd like the text to be vertically in line as well:

\override TextScript #'padding = #3

You don't have to worry about these issues if you attach the analysis as
lyrics.  Then each markup is centered by default and all text appears in a
single line.  (You'll also find that the inversion figures are better
spaced.)  I've attached a file (including the \rN function) which adapts
your example.

HTH,
David