Hi Urs,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Urs Liska <li...@ursliska.de> wrote:

> Dear listers,
>
> I thought it should be simple and straightforward, but I don't understand
> how to put an arpeggio in brackets.
> If I use this code I only get a very small parenthesis:
>
> \version "2.15.36"
> \relative c' {
>  %\once \override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #6
>  <c g' e'>-\parenthesize \arpeggio
> }
>
> If I use the (commented out) override, I get a much bigger parenthesis but
> this doesn't work at all, because it is too wide and round.
> Is there a possibility to put brackets around objects and let the brackets
> adapt to the height of the objects (like spanners)?

Here's something that works for arpeggios.  The attached file is a bit
large because I needed to include several functions from stencil.scm to
draw the parentheses.   (I included parenthesize-stencil, commented out, so
you can see what the numbers in my override refer to.)

The override of 'before-line-breaking is necessary for horizontal spacing.

Sorry I don't have a simple solution involving ParenthesesItem.  Perhaps
someone else will have an idea.

Best,
David