In this case I was using 2.14.2-1, though I do have 2.15.95 on another
computer. Thanks for the helpful tip, this just might be the convincing I
need to start being an early adopter!

I agree, hideNotes is the ideal solution to the problem, and now that the
functionality is fixed it seems there's no reason not to use it.