Dear LilyPond community,

I've been annoyed with how crescendi and decrescendi work in LilyPond and I
am hoping that I'm only using them wrong instead of the software being weak.

If I used the following code:

r4 r8^\markup{"Solo"} \acciaccatura{ e''16[ g16]} f16^>-\p_\>( e~ |
e4.) \acciaccatura {g8} f^>\>~ |
f4.\!  \acciaccatura {g8}  f^>\>~ |
f8[\!  \acciaccatura {e16[ g16]} f16->( e16\>~] e4 \!) |

the following occurs (first few solo notes on the previous system)
[image: Inline image 1]

So the first slur, I'm letting it terminate "by itself" by not declaring a
\! and it runs all the way under to the left side of the next note F where
a another decrescendo starts. Then in the next one, I tried another way
which is to terminate it after the quarter note expecting the decrescendo
to run to the right side of the dotted quarter note on measure 47, however,
it doesn't even reach across the bar line. What is wrong? Am I doing
something wrong? I read the documentation and it said that this sort of
code (terminating it after the note I want it to go to) should have the
decrescendo end at the right side of the note the \! is attached to... This
one is far off from that! (Doesn't even reach to the left side of the note).

The first one looks ugly because when I have three decrescendi in a row
like that all connected right next to each other, it just gets really
distasteful.

Thank you for any help for this novice!

keehun