On 16/01/2013, at 11:48 pm, Kevin Patrick Barry <barr...@tcd.ie> wrote:

> Since you asked for opinions I will offer mine.  I do quite a bit of work
> with LaTeX and LilyPond, but I don't use lilypond-book for a couple of
> reasons.
> For those reasons I prefer to simply export images (Frescobaldi makes this
> very simple) and link to them as with other graphics.  (Using a fixed
> line-width in LilyPond avoids the need to scale them or anything like that.)

That's my approach as well (though I don't use Frescobaldi, just lilypond with
the eps backend). lilypond-book might work when the main content of the book is
music, and therefore most of the changes requiring recompilation are in
lilypond source.  But it is ill-suited to the case where the musical content is
largely fixed while the text is in flux.

As Kevin says, something similar to Tikz would be more flexible: LaTeX calling
lilypond, rather than lilypond preprocessing the LaTeX source.  Even then,
something like Tikz externalisation would be wanted to stop large music
excerpts being recompiled unnecessarily.

Best wishes,
Matthew