Avi Drissman:
> I'm trying to type up a vocal piece. At several places, the part splits
> (with completely different notes, rhythms, and lyrics), and returns to
> unison. During the splits, I'd like the lyrics to go above the staff for
> the high part, and below the staff for the low part.
>
> At first, I split using:
>
> << { ..notes.. } \\ { ..notes.. } >>

Avoid that one when working with vocals.

Try something like attached file.

Note:
 you have to name your \context Lyrics else
 they tend to be on the same line

 you have to make sure you don't create new voices, things like
  \new Voice { }
  << { } { } >>
  << { } \\ { } >>
 create new voices, so you have to tell lilypond every voice it's name

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148
S-742 94 Östhammar
Sweden
+46 173 140 57

\version "2.16.1"

mA = \context Voice = vA \relative c' {
  c4 d e f |
  { \voiceTwo c d e f | } \oneVoice
  c d e f |
  { \voiceTwo c d e f | } \oneVoice
  c d e f |
}

ma = \context Voice = va \relative a' { \voiceOne s1 | a4 g f e | s1 | a4 g f e
| s1 | }

lA = \lyricmode { A B C D E F G H I J K A B C D E F G H I }
la = \lyricmode { a b c d e f g h }

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \context Lyrics = la