Hi Gregory,

>> A tedious solution is likely doable where you basically specify something
>> like
>>
>> \syllable #1 { Cccc Ccccc Cc Ccc c }
>> in the first stanza,
>> \syllable #2 { Cccc Ccccc Cc Ccc c }
>>
>> in the second stanza and so on: then each stanza would typeset the whole
>> column, align it, and pick out the right row.
>>

> That's an interesting idea.  A bit tedious as you write, but better than
> nothing however.

This is far too complicated and tedious for 99% of works with lyrics —
including, I'm assuming, yours. If your layout is [relatively] static, simply
add an appropriate alignment override to all lyrics *except* the one that's
properly centered:

\version "2.17"

theNotes = \relative c' {
  \time 3/2
  \repeat "unfold" 6 c
  \break
  \repeat "unfold" 6 c
}

theWordsI = \lyricmode {
  one two three four five six sev -- en eight nine ten ’leven
}

theWordsII = \lyricmode {
  \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #5 A B C D E F
  \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #3.5 G H I J K L
}

theWordsIII = \lyricmode {
  \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-10 I simp -- ly ad -- just
-- ed the cor -- rect syl -- la -- bles!
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \theNotes
    \addlyrics \theWordsI
    \addlyrics \theWordsII
    \addlyrics \theWordsIII

}

The tiny bit of trial-and-error necessary to accomplish this is far less
tedious than David's \syllable suggestion, except in trivial situations (e.g.,
songs with less than ten syllables per verse).

Best regards,
Kieren.