I have found a strange behavior with incomplete staves. This is not really
important for a complete score, since you usually want to have all staves
to have the same number of measures. But while entering the notes I've been
surprised that empty staves will be drawn to the end of the piece when a
specific pattern is in the music. Here's an example:

\version "2.16.0"
\language "deutsch"

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      \key f \major
      \relative c ' {
        << { g'2~g8 e f g } \\ { <d b>2\> c2\! } >> |
        << { g'2~ g8 c <e, g b c> c' } \\ { <b, d f>2 e8  } >>
    \new Staff {
      \clef bass \key f \major
      \repeat unfold 40 { c4 }

Both measures use polyphonic notes as shown at "Double backslash construct"
in NR 1.5.2 . In the second measure the second expression is "incomplete".
When you comment out the second measure only the lower stave is drawn to
the end. The same appears when you add "s s s" after the e8 to fill the
second expression of the measure.

So one could guess that the second expression must have the same length as
the first in polyphonic. But when you shorten the c2 in the first measure
to c4 nothing similar appears. This is quite strange. Are are any dangerous
thing to expect when the first and the second expression of a polyphonic
are not at equal length?

Regards
Helge