On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Carl Peterson <carlopeter...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am using the automatic part combiner in preparing SATB hymn sheets. The
> > issue I have is that when the notes are chorded by the apc, if there is a
> > slur (in both parts), only one slur is printed (as is seen in the
> > documentation for automatic part combining).
>
> Why would you use the part combiner?  I know SATB as basically
>
> \new ChoirStaff
> << \new Staff { \clef "treble" << { \soprano } \\ { \alto } >> }
>    \new Staff { \clef "bass" << { \tenor } \\ { \bass } >> }

That depends. Virtually without exception, every hymnal I have used in
church or have in my library uses joined stems except when there are
different melodies or the notes are separated by less than a diatonic third
(this has required some rewriting of the part combiner scheme file
to accommodate these style rules).

> namely _without_ joining stems.  At any rate, if you want soprano/alto
> to retain upwards/downwards slurs, just write ^( and _( explicitly
> (\slurUp/\slurDown is not strong enough).

I will take a look at the modifiers. I'm so used to using \slurUp and
\slurDown I forgot ^ and _ can be used for that. The goal of the template
system I'm working on is to require practically no tweaks/overrides/etc.
that do not impact the actual musical performance, to potentially allow
non-Lilypond people to help with only a rudimentary knowledge of notation
syntax.

Thanks,
Carl