> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: MING TSANG <tsan...@rogers.com>
> To: Urs Liska <u...@openlilylib.org>, Kieren MacMillan
>       <kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca>
> Cc: David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com>,        "lilypond-user@gnu.org"
>       <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: 350 "\relative"s on all parts - is it possible to simply
>       the code?
>
> Urs, Jieren & David:
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I will code parts with "\relative" and then use
> frecobaldi to convert it to absolute. ?This will save time to code 350
> "\relative"s. ?The code is much cleaner.

Glad you found a solution you like, Ming.

I would steer clear of \relative completely. When I started using Lilypond, I
used \relative because Lilypond's documentation seemed to me to say "\relative
is recommended because it makes data entry easier". I found, from bitter
experience, that using absolute mode is better, and one reason is that it makes
it easier to make the Lilypond notation for later bits of a musical work, using
the Lilypond notation you have already written for earlier bits. You can copy
and paste without having to recheck the octave of the first pitch you paste.