On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Johan Vromans <jvrom...@squirrel.nl> wrote:

> Jacques Menu <jacques.m...@epfl.ch> writes:
>
> > After struggling with irregular bars, I've been working on a Python3
> tool that
> > transforms a spec such as:
> > [...]
> > into a ready-to-compile Lilypond source file.
>
> Very interesting. It reminds me of something I considered a while ago:
> a kind of meta-staff where the structure of the score is described
> (time/tempo, repeats, special \bar's, and so on). These would then apply
> to all the staffs automatically.
>
> The rationale is that while a LilyPond score consists of horizontal
> staffs, it is in fact structured vertically and sometimes it has
> advantages to treat it as such. For example, using pseudo-LP:

This is a variant on the technique I use in my own templating system for
SATB hymns. I have one LP file where I define the actual music. In addition
to each voice part, I also define a "meta-voice" that contains the
information about key, time signature, bars, etc., that is applied as an
additional voice on each staff.

Carl