On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> So any extension announced after the death of an author should
> not apply to the works of an author who labored under different
> assumptions when creating the work.

+1

Indeed. That said, if a work is in the public domain, it's in the public
domain. So while works created in the U.S. in the 1930s (which would have
entered public domain 75 years after creation, if I recall correctly) have
had their term extended with the U.S. adopting parts of the Berne
Convention, the U.S. Congress cannot go back and grab works created in the
1910s which have passed into public domain. Granted, there could be a major
upheaval of copyright that makes this happen, but the chances of this
happening at this point seem to be minimal. On the other hand, the major
media corporations (Disney being Exhibit A of this issue), may persuade
governments to make it so that copyright keeps extending and works *never*
pass into public domain.