On 31/01/14 04:48, David Sumbler wrote:
Having now got LilyPond 2.18.0 set up on my two machines, thanks to all
the help from the list, I have now started trying to adjust the output
of the pieces I have so far produced.

I have used \header blocks for title, composer etc., and these are
working as I would wish.

However, I should like to produce a separate title page which precedes
the music, but everything I have tried so far doesn't work.  Usually I
either get additional text added to the first page of music, or I get no
title above the music itself.

I've attached my boilerplate that I use for producing a PDF file with separate title page, table of contents page, and multiple pieces within the file. For a single piece just delete the TOC stuff, the additional bookparts for the additional pieces, and set

first-page-number to zero rather than minus one.

Nick

\version "2.18.0"

date = #(strftime "%d/%m/%Y" (localtime (current-time)))

\paper {
  #(define (print-positive-page-number layout props arg)
     (if (> (chain-assoc-get 'page:page-number props -1) 0)
         (create-page-number-stencil layout props arg)
         empty-stencil))

  #(define (not-last-page layout props arg)
     (if (and (chain-assoc-get 'page:is-bookpart-last-page props #f)
              (chain-assoc-get 'page:is-last-bookpart props #f))
         empty-stencil
         (interpret-markup layout props arg)))

  print-all-headers = ##f
  first-page-number = -1
  tocItemMarkup = \tocItemWithDotsMarkup
  oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { " " }
  evenHeaderMarkup = \oddHeaderMarkup
  oddFooterMarkup = \markup \fill-line { \column { \fontsize #-1
    \on-the-fly #not-first-page \on-the-fly #not-last-page
    \on-the-fly #print-positive-page-number \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
    \on-the-fly #last-page \fromproperty #'header:tagline
  } }
  evenFooterMarkup = \oddFooterMarkup
}

\header {
  title = \markup {
    \lower #50 \left-align \center-column {
      \fontsize #4 \bold "Overall Title"
  subtitle = \markup {
    \lower #4 \left-align \center-column {
      \fontsize #1 \bold "Overall Subtitle"
  tagline = \markup {
    \fontsize #-3.5 {
      \override #'(box-padding . 1.0) \override #'(baseline-skip . 2.7) \box \center-column {
        \line {
          Engraved on \date using \with-url #"http://lilypond.org/";
          \line {
            LilyPond \simple #(lilypond-version) (http://lilypond.org/)

\pageBreak

\markuplist \table-of-contents
\markup \null

\bookpart {
  \paper {
    print-page-number = ##t
  }
  \header {
    title = \markup { \fromproperty #'toc:number " Piece One" } % overrides overall title
    subtitle = ##f % prevent overall subtitle from appearing
    composer = "Composer One"
  }
  \tocItem \markup { 1. Piece One }
  \relative c' { c1 }
}

\bookpart {
  \paper {
    print-page-number = ##t
  }
  \header {
    title = \markup { \fromproperty #'toc:number " Piece Two" } % overrides overall title
    subtitle = ##f % prevent overall subtitle from appearing
    composer = "Composer Two"
  }
  \tocItem \markup { 2. Piece Two }
  \relative c' { c1 }
}

\bookpart {
  \paper {
    print-page-number = ##t
  }
  \header {
    title = \markup { \fromproperty #'toc:number " Piece Three" } % overrides overall title
    subtitle = ##f % prevent overall subtitle from appearing
    composer = "Composer Three"
  }
  \tocItem \markup { 3. Piece Three }
  \relative c' { c1 }