Thank you to Phil and Thomas for a quick response! I think Phil's response
was "tongue-in-cheek", but I'm not sure! :-) At any rate the result looks
like my first example, so it wasn't an improvement. Thomas's suggestion
works great and I hope I've learned a little more about tweaking as a
result.

Can either of you suggest a good way to improve my knowledge of Scheme? (I
know almost nothing: almost everything I know about coding I've learned
through engraving music with LilyPond --- which I love.)

Thanks again, you guys are great! Someday I hope to join the bug squad
again!
Mark