Thanks for the swift and helpful response ...

1. you are right that '6 add9' and 'add6 add 9' are indeed equivalent - I
was looking at the wrong entry in the table in the Notation Reference.

2. Having looked further, I do think that some chords are generating
incorrect chord names (but correct notes): C:sus prints as C, C:2 as Csus2,
C:3 as C and C:4 as C4sus4add3

Could I ask you to please run the attached snippet to check my findings ?
(I am running 2.19.3)

thanks, Gerry

On 25 March 2014 00:50, Flaming Hakama by Elaine
<ela...@flaminghakama.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> In terms of theory, the notion of "add" comes into play when the numbers
> get beyond 7, since by convention (both in general musical practice, and in
> lilypond) anything above or including an unmodified 7 implies that a
> dominant 7th is in the chord.
>
> So, for any number less than 7, you can just write that degree after the
> chord root name, since you don't have to worry about what someone might do
> with the 7th, because you have not gone that high.  You can make the case
> that "add 6" is too verbose and perhaps confusing, since "6" gets the point
> across, and the "add" could make you think for a moment that the extension
> is actually higher than a 7th, which it is not. (unless, of course, you
> really mean 13).  This is probably why the default lilypond chord symbol is
> "6 add9" rather than "add6 add9".
>

> > 2. the 'sus' modifier should be followed by '2' or '4' and if lily finds
> > sus on its own it just puts out the basic triad. But some scores include
> > all three forms - triad, sus and sus4 implying that they are different.
> > Shouldn't the unmodified sus  generate just the first and fifth ?
> > (specifying ^3 also seems to generate the full triad).
>
> Suspended "chords" are an area where I think there is less general
> agreement (in musical practice) about what they mean.
>
> My general understanding about musical practice is that "sus" simply means
> "there is no 3rd in this 'chord'".  The most typical implication is that
> you are sounding the 4th instead of the 3rd, meaning scale degrees 1 4 5.
>
> However, like many things about the way lilypond represents chords, it is
> a balance between being unambiguous versus following some flavor of common
> usage.  And in lilypond, the unambiguous often wins out.  In this case,
> lilypond makes you specify what note is taking the place of the 3rd.
>
> Not sure I understand why the default behavior of specifying sus without
> another scale degree gives you a triad (it is certainly not based on
> typical musical interpretation of sus chords), but again, you have to
> realize that the chord input syntax is lilypond-specific and different than
> the dialect of printed chord symbols.
>
> Not quite sure what you mean by scores that have chord symbols that say
> "triad".  Never seen that before.  In fact, until coming across lilypond, I
> have never seen anyone write a "sus 2" chord. Just because you have seen
> something in a score--especially chord changes--doesn't mean that it is
> normal, accepted and well-understood.  It could just be inconsistent.  In
> any case, I would assume that both the "sus" and "sus4" mean the same thing.
>

> I hope this helps,
>
> David Elaine Alt
> 415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
> highly underrated*"
> ela...@flaminghakama.com
> skype: flaming_hakama
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

%% Generated by lilypond-book.py
\include "lilypond-book-preamble.ly"

% ****************************************************************
% Start cut-&-pastable-section
% ****************************************************************

\paper {
  indent = 0\mm
  line-width = 160\mm
  % offset the left padding, also add 1mm as lilypond creates cropped
  % images with a little space on the right
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000) (* mm 1))
  line-width = 160\mm - 2.0 * 10.16\mm
  % offset the left padding, also add 1mm as lilypond creates cropped
  % images with a little space on the right
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000) (* mm 1))
  ragged-right = ##t
}

duffChords = \chordmode { c1:sus c:2 c:3 c:4 }

Chords = \new ChordNames \chordmode {
        \set additionalPitchPrefix = #"add"
	\transpose c c, { \duffChords }}
\score {