On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:42:26 PM UTC+2, Davide Liessi wrote:

> Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
> as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
> Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
> standard DMG disk image

Hello,

I had been using Frescobaldi successfully on OS X 10.9.2, installed via
Homebrew. Everything was working well. A few days ago, the Music View (PDF
viewer) stopped working, showing "Unable to load popplerqt4 module". I
don't know what broke this. I recently installed a Canon Printer Driver
system update from Apple, but other than that, I haven't done anything to
my system.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling via Homebrew without success. Well,
the install completed successfully, but still no Music View.

Next, I downloaded the DMG containing the standalone Mac app to see if that
would work better for me. Sure enough, the Music View reappeared in all its
glory. But I noticed that the MIDI player would no longer work for me. My
setup is identical to when I was using the Homebrew version, and I had
playback working with both SimpleSynth and Qsynth. With the standalone Mac
app, though, when I click "Refresh MIDI ports" in MIDI settings with Qsynth
running, nothing shows up in the "Player output" dropdown menu like it used
to for me. At the top, it says "There are no MIDI output ports available on
your system. Make sure PortMIDI is installed..."

Well, PortMIDI was installed via Homebrew, but I don't think the standalone
app is seeing it. I looked in the Frameworks folder inside the Frescobaldi
app bundle, but I did not see anything for PortMIDI there. Was this a
packaging oversight or something else?

If I switch back to using the Homebrew version, MIDI playback works fine,
but no Music View... In other words, I can either see the music or hear it,
but not both.