Thanks for the replies, David Kastrup, Thomas Morley, David Nalesnik.  The
problem is fixed, and if you care to read how, keep reading; otherwise,
thanks again and have a nice day.

While trying to figure out how to create a "tiny example" that would
duplicate my problem, which I was sure had to be happening because of the
complicated layout, score block, incipit and choir staff markup etc etc, I
found the problem, and it was very simple.

When I was preparing this score with version 2.18 (from an original file
that was in version 1.4), I had left the bass lyrics block with
*textobassus=\lyrics{*
rather than  *textobassus=\lyricmode{*

This was close enough that it compiled all right, and Frescobaldi did not
flag it as an error, but it was enough to create the two little problems I
mentioned originally....both are fixed now.

And it took me less than 6 hrs.

Thanks again.
LK