I found it in one of my own scores:

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \remove Note_heads_engraver
      \remove Rest_engraver
      \consists Completion_heads_engraver
      \consists Completion_rest_engraver

Am 18.09.2014 um 18:25 schrieb Malte Meyn:
Yes, there is the Completion_heads_engraver. I don’t remember exactly
how to use it, but you’ll find it in the manuals.

Am 18.09.2014 um 17:06 schrieb Jay Vara:
Sometimes a note in my (generated) music falls on the bar lines. Is there
a way to auto fix it by splitting the note as per the measure and joining
the two parts with a tie?

In the following, the first line shows that there are five quarter notes
in the first measure rather than 4.

The second line is how I would like it to be auto-resolved.

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c' {c4 d e f2 g h}

\relative c' {c4 d e f~f g h}