Mark,

If I understand you correctly, this is because of a single \relative a
the beginning of the polyphony. Yes? Like,

\relative c' {
  <<
    \new Voice { \voiceOne ... }
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo ... }

}

Then, yes, whatever pitch is used last in the \voiceOne section will
determine the relative starting point of the first pitch in the
\voiceTwo section. One workaround that I have used is to do something
like this:

\relative c' {
  <<
    \new Voice { \voiceOne ... }
    \new Voice \relative c' { \voiceTwo ... }

}

Or something like that. That way, the \voiceTwo section will always
start relative to c' instead.

HTH,
Abraham