Hi Marc,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM, MarcM <m...@mouries.net> wrote:

> i tried examples in this old post but none of them compile in 2.19.15.

[Visible at Nabble link at bottom of message]

Yes, there have been a lot of changes to LilyPond internals since that was
written.

> I created a sample example.
>
> Is it possible to set the box to wrap around the notes without having to
> set
> the dimensions?

The thread referenced points out that you can write a function for
NoteColumn.stencil.  However, this will only encompass noteheads and
stems.  To account for the fingering numbers I think you would need to go
the way of the custom grob.  (Which, so you know, is not "orthodox"
Lily-practice.)

(The NoteColumn.stencil route would handle the vertical aspect of your
particular example, at least.)

> How can we move the notes so the box does not overlap with the repeat sign
> in the second example?
>
> <
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n170210/Screen_Shot_2015-01-07_at_8.png

Here you can change the horizontal extent of the barline:

 \once \override Score.BarLine.X-extent = #'(-1 . 3)

Hope this helps,
David