Hi Stan,

Without seeing some code I can't be very specific, but here are some
thoughts.

The variable system-system-spacing controls the distance between systems
(it can be set in a \paper block or a \layout block I think). I think you
have to set it for a whole score though, that is, you can't change it on a
per-system basis (but I'm not 100% sure, someone could correct me on that).
So one way to accomplish what you want would be to have a separate \score
block for each section, and increase the space between scores (with the
score-system-spacing variable in the \paper block). If you don't want to
put the various sections into their own scores then you could do something
hackish like placing something transparent underneath a system to force
more space between it and the one underneath.

hth,
Kevin