  From: Knute Snortum
  To: lilypond-user@gnu.org
  Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 9:45 PM
  Subject: Ottava spanner too long just before a grace note

  I have a piece of music that all finished except that I have a problem with
the ottava spanner for low a in the bass.  It seems to want to span the grace
note that's in the next measure, I assume because the grace note is realized by
backing up from the beat it's on.  My example file isn't "tiny", but it's not
huge either.  I don't know if people prefer inline files or attachments when
they are big, so I attached the file.

  I've tried several things to make make the spanner smaller, but I can't seem
to do it without messing other things up.  There's a lot happening in that
measure, including a tied cross-staff chord.  There may be a better solution
for that that will make the ottava problem easier to solve.

  The last measure in the example is how the first measure should look.

  TIA

  Knute Snortum
  (via Gmail)