Hello all,

I'm doing my best to install the drivers for the 536ep modem on my RH 7.3. Which drives me nuts. I'm talking about unresolved symbols with depmod.

The thing is, that my kernel has module versions, which is a nice thing in itself, but...

I'll spare you the via dolorosa until I figured out, that I'll need to add the -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h compile options when I compile the modules.

Then I did get some version tags on the functions (in the newly compiled module files), but the tags were unmatching those of the system, so the symbols remained unresolved. Reason: The symbols of the module files were all smp-tagged. Uhh.

A few blown grey cells later, it occured to me, that the reason was that I messed with the kernel configuration a few months ago. So I set up the kernel configuration back to non-smp (and no, I didn't compile the kernel), as if I was about to compile it for non-SMP, and voila, the version tags matched much better.

"Much better" means all but a few. The session at the end of this posting explains it all.

And no, I didn't actually compile the kernel. I'm faithful to RH7.3's binary. Enough trouble as is.

For example, in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module/ksyms.ver we have
#define __ver_tty_register_driver ea3edd78

but in /proc/ksyms it appears as tty_register_driver_Ra1c6c9cb (see below).

So this leaves me with three questions:

1. What have I done to deserve this?
2. How can I synchronize between the symbols that I have in usr/src/linux/include/linux/module/ and those that are actually loaded into the kernel? I don't want to recompile the kernel.
3. Most important: Is there any guide around, for free or for $$$, that spares the endless search on the web for solutions? There are plently of one-pagers who tell me to do a lot of make-make-make, but I still haven't found a single guide that tells me, at least, what files are involved. And to what extent every step I take screws the system up.

Thanks in advance,
Eli

----------------------
And here's the session:

[root@localhost Intel-536ep-451-R73]# depmod -e
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/536ep.o
depmod: tty_register_driver_Rea3edd78
depmod: tty_flip_buffer_push_Rfc595416
depmod: tty_unregister_driver_R86cec9d5
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/536epcore.o
depmod: create_proc_entry_R1231106e
depmod: remove_proc_entry_R391b3f4c
depmod: proc_root_R2c857f25
[root@localhost Intel-536ep-451-R73]# grep tty_register_driver /proc/ksyms