On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Here goes, enjoy! I hope it would serve as inspiration to some of you:
>
> <<<
> My first real experience with UNIX was when I started working for Cortext,
> a web-publishing company back in 1995 or 1996. Until then I was an experienced
> DOS and Windows user and developer, who knew they were sub-optimal but
> could not pin-point why. My experience with UNIX allowed me to "see the
> light": I quickly found out an operating environment that worked in a
> perfectly sensible, perfectly good way.
>
> A few years later I installed Linux on my home computer and upgraded the
> hard-disk, the computer or parts of it some times. Now with my flashy KDE
> configuration, with Xmms (Linux' Winamp lookalike) playing mp3s in the
> background, with gvim editing files, and with a ton of konsole terminals
> open doing various tasks - I find working on Windows 98 annoying. Not to
> mention that our Win98 configuration is in such a state that nothing
> works nicely in it for a long time. On Linux OTOH everything works
> flawlessly.

Hmm... The way you mention win98 is problematic. You target the "advanced"
users. I figure that many of them think "if this guy has so many problems
with the stability and looks of win98, he should try XP". Note that you
also mentioned hardware upgrade in that paragraph (older hardware is a one
reason why people in the windows world stay with "older" OSes).

> A wise man once said that "Those that don't understand UNIX are bound to
> reinvent it. And badly". Similarly, not understanding any part of UNIX, will
> make you re-invent it. Nevertheless, Linux is modular enough that you can get
> by without knowing every part of it. For a long time, I used to write
> my shell scripts in Perl 5, and I survived.

Doesn't sound too encourging. Can you please "reinvent" this paragraph in
a friendlier way?

> In Linux, "There is more than one way to do it". More importantly, there
> is _always_ a way to do it. Some say that Linux is about Freedom, about
> Choice and about Individualism. I agree with all these claims. But for
> me, Linux is simply about Power, Stability and Ease of Use (for a Power
> User). The mere thought of using the Redmond alternative makes me unhappy.
> I can use it if I want to, but I keep thinking tomyself: I wish I could
> do it in Linux instead.

People who are unfamiliar with the "alternatives" you mentioned will not
understand what you say, and may take this as a simple anti-ms attack.

You have not given any example for ease-of-use.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]