On Wed, Aug 25, 2010, Wookey wrote:
> I'm using amd64 - hopefully it doesn't matter.

 Well I feared it might influence xdeb, since there is this bug about
 the need to use two caches; notably, I thought at least using a 32-bits
 build arch was better than a 64-bits for the visible package names.
 Now I don't expect it actually makes a big difference, but I wanted to
 mention it.

> I'm a biut confused about this. I got this error in pdebuild-cross
> because xapt was initially missing so the cross-deps simly weren't
> being installed. As soon as they were installed then this part went
> fine. Which is what I would expect. So there must be something
> different about the environment in the xdeb case. I'll try and work
> out what is going on.

 Is this on an Ubuntu host with an Ubuntu rootfs in your build
 environment?  pbuilder doesn't cleanup the env, only debuild does.
 Also, dpkg-buildpackage used to set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR until recently,
 so if you're trying on an older distro (e.g. lucid) you might not see
 the issue we have now.

> >  Interestingly, the build broke because it couldn't find gtk-doc
> >  anymore; I didn't add /usr/share/pkgconfig, but it does show that host
> >  versus build pkg-config dependencies are a problem, and we need a
> >  $triplet-pkg-config to solve this!
> >
> >  So I patched the gstreamer build to turn off docs; I think
> >  gstreamer0.10 should --disable-gtk-doc when cross-compiling; in fact,
> >  this should be done in gtk-doc upstream.
>
> I left docs on. It correspondingly pulls in a lot of deps (157
> cross-deps, but lots of them are null so it doesn't actually waste _too_
> much time). Nothing broke.

 Problems were not with the deps but with a call to pkg-config; I didn't
 have /usr/$triplet/share/pkgconfig in my path and I didn't cross
 gtk-doc to have it, but gtk-doc.pc was in /usr/share/pkgconfig, and it
 would probably have been picked up if I had bothered setting
 PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR to pick it up.  I thought the best fix here was
 actually to disable docs when cross-building because gtk-doc usually
 generates scanners and runs them, which obviously doens't work.

> Yep. I think we can agree on that. It's interesting that the two build
> methods don't quite give the same behaviour. I'll poke it some more to see
> what's going on.

 I think I saw your error message later down, but I looked at the first
 error I got.

--
Loïc Minier