Hi

First some informations. "armel-cross-toolchain" is a package which will
generate armel cross toolchain for x86(-64) machines (but nothing keeps
from building powerpc->armel one etc). Do to that I am building several
stages of linux/eglibc/gcc-4.5/binutils in proper order. This is called
'bootstrap' way of building cross compiler and can be automated (which
can not be done with Embedian way which we used before).

In last week I did a split of package into 2 steps:

- armel-cross-toolchain-base
- armel-cross-toolchain

Where first one provides binutils, linux headers, libc6 and libgcc
packages. Second provides final gcc.

My armel-cross-toolchain-base package got to the moment when it builds
out of box on Ubuntu maverick.

But build != upload ;( And here I need some help.

As you can see on page [1] package got built [2] but then was rejected to
be uploaded [3]. Here my Debian/Ubuntu packaging skills ends as I never
imported any package to those systems.

According to people from #launchpad my package is buggy as it is producing
a binutils binary which expects to be built from a binutils source. Whereas
mine source package is neither named binutils nor does it have that version.

So problem is how to get it done... So far I tried ugly hacks like:

sed -i -e "s/^binutils/armel-cross-toolchain-base/g" debian/changelog; \
sed -i -e "s/^Source: binutils/Source: armel-cross-toolchain-base/g"
debian/control.in; \
sed -i -e "s/^Source: binutils/Source: armel-cross-toolchain-base/g"
debian/control; \

But this does not look right for me and require more changes in linux
packaging as it uses changelog name as base for package names.

So help me please if you have ideas.

1. https://edge.launchpad.net/~hrw/+archive/arm-cross-compiler/+build/1940050
2.
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/54624642/buildlog_ubuntu-maverick-i386.armel-cross-toolchain-base_1.23_BUILDING.txt.gz