On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 03:56:15PM +0300, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> Because it adds a sub-arch, revision-specific override into generic
> architecture code (vfpmodule.c)
>
> To do this elegantly with a hope to get it to mainline, we'd need a way to
> disable the hwcap through some board-specific fixup code that can check the
> revision of the board at runtime.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems after talking to Nicolas that mdesc->fixup() is
> called too early.
>
> Nicolas suggested linking the i.MX5 code _after_ the VFP module :)

Hmm; I would rather we tried a bit harder to find a solution which was
workable upstream. I'm surprised there's no generic facility to do
fixups of this sort given how fast we've run into the problem -- a hint
towards something the KCWG could improve?

> >  We can do that in Linaro, I'm just a bit uncomfortable that there is a
> >  non-trivial amount of TO2 devices out there, and it's a DoS issue to
> >  have this NEON flaw.
> >
> >  I would be ok if we would only support TO3 and the kernel wouldn't boot
> >  on TO2 hardware, but AIUI the kernel will boot just fine and turn on
> >  NEON on TO2 such as Babbage 2.x, so I'm a bit scared by just release
> >  noting it.
>
> Another solution is that we could perhaps add code in the board init function
> to check the cpu revision and if NEON was enabled, then stop booting.

That's a backup plan I'd be mildly okay with; I don't like the idea of
the Linaro kernel booting on even less hardware ;-)
--
Christian Robottom Reis   | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
Canonical Ltd.            | [+55 16] 9112 6430 | http://async.com.br/~kiko