In lmc we already have some code which checks if a given utility is
present and if not, install (via apt-get) a package which provides that.
We could extend it to check for a specific version and try to install a
version greater or equal that (can we tell apt-get to install only if it
finds a package whose version is greater than X?).

When it fails to install, we would direct the user to the README, which
has pointers for the things that are not available in the usual
channels.