> Regarding using V4L to communicate with DSPs/other processors: that too
> could be something for Linaro to pick up: experiment with it for one
> particular
> board, see what (if anything) is needed to make this work. I expect it to be
> pretty easy, but again, nobody has actually done the initial work.

Actually this has been done already, unfortunately the project was (and
still is) kept under a hat... STMicrolectronics (no -Ericsson in the
name ;-) developed a multimedia framework that used sort-of-DSPs to
decode, encode, process etc. etc. and exposed Linux-DVB/V4L/ALSA APIs.
It's been used in a number of commercial projects but "Open Duckbox"
picked it up as well:

http://gitorious.org/open-duckbox-project-sh4/pages/Home
http://gitorious.org/open-duckbox-project-sh4/tdt/blobs/master/tdt/cvs/driver/player2_179/stm-noarchtarget-player2.spec

Having said all that, I don't think that anything of this will be useful
in your development. I just mention it as a proof that it viable :-)

Cheers!

Paweł