On 10 February 2011 12:19, Mirsad Vojnikovic
<mirsad.vojniko...@linaro.org> wrote:
<snip
 > That I wrote:

>> I'd like to add as user stories:
>>   Dave wants to rerun a test on a particular machine to see if a
>> failure is machine specific.
>
> An initial idea we had was to run jobs based on machine type, i.e.
> BeagleBoard, not on a particular machine, i.e. BeagleBoard_ID001. The
> dispatcher would choose on which particular machine to run, depending on
> availability. I understand your point when running on a particular machine
> is desirable, but maybe this feature should be enabled for admins trying to
> track a deviating hardware? Or maybe this is a user story for dashboard, to
> have a feature comparing and presenting results from all machines of the
> same type, or even in broader aspect for chosen/all machine types we
> support?

I'm talking here of the case where the user has run a set of tests and
one is showing
up as bad and they are trying to work out why; lets say they run the
test again and it
works on a different machine; they might reasonably want to see if the
original machine fails.
Then the second subcase is that we've identified that a particular machine
always fails a particular test but no one can explain why; you've been
given the job
of debugging the test and figuring out why it always fails on that machine.
This might not be a hardware/admin issue - it might be something really subtle.

>>   Dave wants to run the same test on a set of machines to compare the
>> results.
>
> This is almost same as first. Maybe the better solution, as I wrote above,
> is to go to dashboard and compare all the existing results there instead?
> This assumes of course that there are results already reported for wanted
> hardware, which I think would be a case if looking at weekly execution
> intervals, but probably not daily. What do you think, is this reasonable
> enough or am I missing something important?

OK, there were a few cases I was thinking here:
  1)  A batch of new machines arrives in the data centre; they are apparently
identical - you want to run a benchmark on them all and make sure the variance
between them is within the expected range.
  2) Some upgrade has happened to a set of machines (e.g. new kernel/new linaro
release) rolled out to them all - do they still all behave as expected?
  3) You've got a test, it's results seem to vary wildly from run to run - is it
consistent across machines in the farm?

Note these set of requirements come from using a similar testing farm.

Dave