On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:01:46PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011, Dave Martin wrote:
> > As I understand it, debootstrap or germinate basically do the right
> > thing.  All we would need would be to document the use of the existing
> > tools, and provide suitable ultra-minimal seeds (at the level of
> > busybox+libc only) and/or an ultra-minimal --variant for debootstrap.

>  So far, the two approaches which had been proposed were:
>  * an initramfs-tools based initrd which would copy selected binaries
>    manually; this probably gives a very minimal root image, but it's a
>    bit cumbersome to manage for us
>  * a classic seed based image; this is convenient to generate, but it's
>    not particularly small

>  The custom debootstrap script you're proposing is one way; I would also
>  think we could consider the udeb route: udebs are meant to be small and
>  used in Debian Installer which offers a rescue system.  D-I also has
>  fancy things like openssh, and can retrieve additional components from
>  the network -- as long as they are udeb-ified.  D-I images already
>  exist as initrds today, with very small sizes; you can browse random
>  image types under
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-armel/current/images/

I'm not keen on this route because we are limited then to precisely that set
of components that currently build udebs for inclusion in our image.  We
don't want to be in the position of having to add udebs to the archive in
order to make changes to our nano image, that's just too high a barrier.

We should be able to get an equivalent effect with an initramfs, which can
reuse the existing .debs and extract contents as appropriate.  The main
thing this won't get us is building with -Os by default; I'm not sure how
much that helps on armel, but I wouldn't expect it to offset the maintenance
cost?

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org