On 29 March 2011 10:53, Steve Langasek <steve.langa...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Konstantinos,

> There must be some misunderstanding here; no license that prohibited
> distribution of binaries built from modified source would be considered a
> Free Software license, and zlib is certainly considered free. :)

Yes, you're right, the problem is that a modified zlib would have to be clearly
marked as different -ie the package name would have to be different. This
would be easily solved by means of a Provides: field, but I'm unsure if the
differentiation also should include the libz.so filename. I was probably wrong
in my license interpretation in 2005, but I seem to remember it was something
like that that basically made me stop my work in vectorizing zlib :)

I'd love to be corrected if it meant having a NEON-optimized zlib in 2011 :)

> The only relevant requirements in the license (according to
> /usr/share/doc/zlib1g/copyright) are:
>
>  1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
>     claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
>     in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
>     appreciated but is not required.
>  2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
>     misrepresented as being the original software.

Yes, 2 is the problem, I think this was interpreted as having to rename
the package and possibly the .so name.

> Are you looking at a different zlib license than this one?

No, it's the same.

Konstantinos