On Tue, Jun 07, 2011, Bradley Powers wrote:
> This indicates that ROS can't determine the OS.  I suspect that this is
> because Linaro calls itself Linaro, not Ubuntu (which is what the image
> is).  Any ideas on how to get Linaro to call itself Ubuntu, or to get
> ROS to understand that Linaro means Ubuntu?

 Linaro images include a modified base-files package which sets up
 lsb-release configs with "Linaro" instead of "Ubuntu".  You're likely
 seeing the effect of lsb_release output being Linaro according to
 /etc/lsb-release instead of Ubuntu.

 One way this could be handled by ROS (or any ISV really) is to use the
 new "dpkg-vendor" tool to check whether the current distro has a known
 distro as a parent.

 For instance "dpkg-vendor --derives-from Debian" succeeds under Ubuntu,
 and "dpkg-vendor --derives-from Ubuntu" or dpkg-vendor --derives-from
 Debian" should succeed under a Linaro image.

 Unfortunately, dpkg-vendor is in dpkg-dev, so maybe one nee to parse
 /etc/dpkg/origins/* manually instead.

 In the mean time, you can downgrade base-files or edit its conffiles
 locally.

   Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier