On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Dave Martin wrote:

> Acked-by = This patch is definitely right, or I fully agree with the
>       patch and trust the author's judgement ("I will share
>       responsibility for the correctness and appropriateness of this
>       patch").  This implies Reviewed-by.
>       Normally an ack shouldn't
>       get added unless the acker is confident that the patch is
>       adequately tested (where the level of testing deemed adequate
>       depends on the complexity of the patch)  Again, this may rely on
>       judgement of the comptence of the author and the other
>       reviewers.
>
> Reviewed-by = This patch looks correct and appropriate and I judge it
>       ok to merge, but I assume the author knows what they're
>       doing, and I don't necessarily take responsibility for the
>       change.

I think some aspects of the above two are mixed up.

Normally, ACK == acknowledgement i.e. "I conceptually agree with the
patch", but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was reviewed
thoroughly.  In other words, this quite matches your definition, but
does not imply a Reviewed-by, and that assumes the author knows what
they're doing.

Reviewed-by means that you did review the patch content in details,
whether or not the author knows what they're doing.  A Reviewed-by
obviously implies an Acked-by.

Nicolas