Hi Wookey (and others that might be interested)

With Mutlistrap and qemu we've gotten live-build to be able to cross
build most of our images. The next step however in nano is to pull out
a number of the packages and in some cases replace them with busybox
components to get an even smaller rootfs. An important part of this is
to not include recommends AND not take into account required packages.
It would appear that multistrap is unable to ignore the required
packages. There are a number of them.

You will also note in the log below a number of the busybox
replacements explicitly conflict with their non-busybox brethren. In
the Multistrap package list, the non-busybox versions are not listed
yet Multistrap is pulling them in (as well as others I had removed).

Grepping through the Multistrap perl source I don't see a way forward
but I know you're the expert here. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Here's the log :

multistrap 2.1.6ubuntu3 using config/multistrap.config
Using foreign architecture: armel
multistrap building armel multistrap on 'amd64'
INF: Setting ./lib64 -> ./lib symbolic link.
Getting package lists: apt-get  -o Apt::Architecture=armel -o
Dir::Etc::TrustedParts=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d -o
Dir::Etc::Trusted=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg -o Apt::Get::Download-Only=true
-o Apt::Install-Recommends=false -o Dir=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/
-o Dir::Etc=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/etc/apt/ -o
Dir::State=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/lib/apt/ -o
Dir::State::Status=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/lib/dpkg/status -o
Dir::Cache=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/cache/apt/ update
[ERROR - 22.Aug.11 19:54:23]: Not on Blue network, aborting...
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net natty Release.gpg [316B]
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/linaro-maintainers/overlay/ubuntu/
natty/main Translation-en
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/linaro-maintainers/overlay/ubuntu/
natty/main Translation-en_US
Get:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com natty Release.gpg [198B]
Ign http://ports.ubuntu.com/ natty/main Translation-en
Ign http://ports.ubuntu.com/ natty/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ports.ubuntu.com/ natty/universe Translation-en
Ign http://ports.ubuntu.com/ natty/universe Translation-en_US
Get:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com natty Release [39.8kB]
Get:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net natty Release [9,753B]
Get:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net natty/main armel Packages [42.8kB]
Get:6 http://ports.ubuntu.com natty/main armel Packages [1,528kB]
Get:7 http://ports.ubuntu.com natty/universe armel Packages [5,867kB]
Fetched 7,488kB in 46s (162kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
I: Calculating required packages.
apt-get  -y  -o Apt::Architecture=armel -o
Dir::Etc::TrustedParts=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d -o
Dir::Etc::Trusted=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg -o Apt::Get::Download-Only=true
-o Apt::Install-Recommends=false -o Dir=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/
-o Dir::Etc=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/etc/apt/ -o
Dir::State=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/lib/apt/ -o
Dir::State::Status=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/lib/dpkg/status -o
Dir::Cache=/bld/nano-nano-cross/chroot/var/cache/apt/ install
2.7-minimal adduser apt apt-transport-https apt-utils base-files
base-passwd bash bsdutils busybox-initramfs busybox-linaro-adduser
busybox-linaro-findutils busybox-linaro-grep busybox-linaro-hostname
busybox-linaro-mount busybox-linaro-nano busybox-linaro-tar
busybox-linaro-udhcpc busybox-syslogd ca-certificates console-setup
console-terminus coreutils cpio dash debconf debconf-i18n debianutils
diffutils dpkg dropbear e2fslibs e2fsprogs findutils gcc-4.5-base
gnupg gpgv grep gzip hostname ifupdown initramfs-tools
initramfs-tools-bin initscripts insserv iproute iputils-ping kbd
keyboard-configuration klibc-utils libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1
libbz2-1.0 libc-bin libc6 libcap2 libcomerr2 libcurl3-gnutls libdb4.8
libdbus-1-3 libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau1a libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2
libgcc1 libgcrypt11 libglib2.0-0 libgnutls26 libgpg-error0
libgssapi-krb5-2 libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1 libklibc libkrb5-3
libkrb5support0 libldap-2.4-2 liblocale-gettext-perl liblzma2
libncurses5 libncursesw5 libnih-dbus1 libnih1 libpam-modules
libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcre3 libplymouth2
libpng12-0 libpopt0 libreadline6 libsasl2-2 libselinux1 libsepol1
libslang2 libss2 libssl0.9.8 libstdc++6 libtasn1-3
libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl
libudev0 libusb-0.1-4 libuuid1 linaro-overlay linaro-overlay-minimal
locales login lsb-base makedev mawk module-init-tools mount mountall
multiarch-support ncurses-base ncurses-bin net-tools netbase
netcat-openbsd passwd perl-base plymouth procps python python-minimal
python2.7-minimal readline-common sed sensible-utils sudo sysv-rc
sysvinit-utils tar tzdata ubuntu-keyring udev upstart util-linux
xkb-data xz-utils zlib1g
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Note, selecting 'python2.7-minimal' for regex '2.7-minimal'
or been moved out of Incoming.

busybox-linaro-adduser : Conflicts: adduser
busybox-linaro-grep : Conflicts: grep
busybox-linaro-hostname : Conflicts: hostname
busybox-linaro-mount : Conflicts: mount
busybox-linaro-tar : Conflicts: cpio
                     Conflicts: tar

--
Regards,
Tom

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns will not be discouraged."
- Colonel Henry Knox
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att linaro.org
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com