On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Christian Robottom Reis
<k...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 10:34:47AM -0500, Tom Gall wrote:
>> The initial port of Android's extensions to the current libjpeg-turbo
>> codebase is complete.
>
> Tom, you've done a spectacular job carrying the -turbo work into the
> developer platform and now Android. I'm thrilled to see this come to
> fruition now, and the CyanogenMod test is a great bonus -- seeing this
> used on a real form-factor device means I can actually believe in it.

Thanks!

It's been fun and the fun shall continue!

>> The code can currently be found in git at:
>>
>> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/tomgall/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo.git;a=summary
>>
>> from the 1.2-beta-linaro-andoid branch.
>>
>> Be sure to read the ANDROID.txt file for build instructions. This
>> branch is SPECIFICALLY for android.
>
> Can you give a summary of what's being added here? i.e. what happened to
> Android when using libjpeg-turbo without these added patches?

For a more technical summary, the write up with the initial draft
submitted patch is probably more interesting. It's perhaps a little
too high level yet but for a patch of this size it's hard not to write
a book. But in the interest of release early, release often, there it
is.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3403461&group_id=303195&atid=1278160

> I see some pretty major changes in:
>

> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/tomgall/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo.git;a=commitdiff;h=ff1f5e7ce17701b48e53b7fcb3509f40715fd2e4
>
> It looks to me like the main changes are protected by the following
> defines, which probably answers part of my question above:
>
>    ENABLE_ANDROID_NULL_CONVERT
>    ANDROID_TILE_BASED_DECODE
>    ANDROID_RGB

Yes, everything is bounded by #ifdef ANDROID or akin.  I'm kept to the
mostly kept to the Android define philosophy for now but I think it
reasonable to evolve the patch a bit and just go all ANDROID with the
exception of testing for say android neon or support for ash.

> (Ald yes, I have read ANDROID.txt which confirms the above but doesn't
> tell me much else ;-)

:-) Well it does say how to build it.

> Also, I see you adding config.h and jconfig.h files which I don't think
> you want to have committed, right?

I do. Those are both generated by the autotools. Android does not use
the autotools at all but these files must exist. Given there is no
./configure step in Android's build the next best thing is putting
copies into the android directory and expect builders to copy/move
them to the right place at build time. In my git tree however this
step is not necessary, however that branch is the git tree is only for
android.

> Do you really want an android/ config subdirectory?

Unfortunately. There might be a better way around this, I don't know
my Android build foo enough yet to see another method but perhaps some
android types might comment.

>> I have not yet started to do performance comparisons between the old
>> jpeg and libjpeg-turbo on android. That needs to be done.
>
> This might be Zach's next favorite demo!

I have two Nexus Ones that I am going to install side by side. I think
it might have some youtube potential :-)

> You might want to try out the toolchain guys' latest -03 and assorted
> optimization madness to see if they make a difference when you do that.

Indeed. There's more to do.

Ash is Android Shared memory.  http://elinux.org/Android_Kernel_Features#ashmem

> Good job!

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Tom

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns will not be discouraged."
- Colonel Henry Knox
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att linaro.org
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com