Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Steve Taylor <steve.tay...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Tom and all,
>
> Thank you all for your input on the desktop background images and thanks
> especially to Tom for generating the original images. I am trying to copy
> all the people that may have been involved in the various threads about
> this.
>
> As many of you know, I have been looking to get images that can be used as
> boot, desktop and presentation backgrounds generated so we can use
> consistent images. Unfortunately, I cannot achieve that in time for the
> current release. I had hoped that with some minor adjustments, we could take
> Tom's gimp images and re-purpose them, but after looking at this and getting
> input from others, I don't want us to be sending out completely new "brand"
> images. For this release, I propose we use something based on our current
> material (th pop up banners an existing presentations). This will be boring,
> but it will only be temporary and won't send us off in a new direction.

The reason why I had created the various new pieces that I had
forwarded to you was the existing materials did not work for both
design and technical reasons. The engineering goal had been set to get
linaro branding into 11.12 time is short.

What I had put together will work for technical side of things however
if they don't met the design side of things, I'm all ears to address
that. As mentioned in my emails to you, I was and am still looking for
any and all feedback as it would be great if we could still meet the
11.12 goal.

> We can then aim to launch the "new" direction with 12.01 (and then at Linaro
> Connect). We will get to this new direction in two stages: stage 1 will be
> about gathering ideas - like Tom's gimp image and Zach's
> porscheeveryday.com. If you have any ideas or examples now, please send them
> to me. Stage 2 will be getting a designer to work up the best couple of
> ideas. if you'd like to be involved in choosing the "best", let me know.

If I'm to understand the process you're proposing correctly,  you'd
like to open things up in the 12.01 time frame where people would
email some number of submissions and then a design firm would be hired
to work on this submissions and the output of that would be what would
be used in a future release?

> I have created the "boring" proposal and saved it on google
> docs: https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/?tab=mo#folders/0B86d5fQjXM3zYTQyNWU1NTItMDI3OC00YjBjLTlmOTItMDYwMTU1MDI0ODI4. I'd
> like to use this for the current release (if possible). There is a GIF file,
> a PPT and a PPS PPT show file. The PPS file animates the dots so that there
> is an activity scale (wiping in from left to right and repeated)... If you
> need this as some other type of file, let me know.

I've looked at what you've suggested for the boot background. It is
currently not in the right format nor the correct resolution, nor the
correct aspect ratio for use as a boot splash for what is needed. It
also does not also fill the other need that we have which is for a
wall paper. All of this is fixable.

I'm guessing you had missed the follow graphic that i had submitted to
you especially for the purpose of boot splash as I hadn't received any
feedback on it. http://people.linaro.org/~tgall/LinaroBootSplash.png

Regardless, and in the interest of 11.12, I can massage what you have
as bootsplash if so desired but ideally I think it would be better if
you regenerated it to the specs we've discussed so as to keep the feel
you're aiming for.

How would you like to proceed?

Thanks!

Tom

--
Regards,
Tom

"Where's the kaboom!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering
kaboom!" Marvin Martian
Multimedia Tech Lead | Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att linaro.org
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com