Hello Alexander,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:08:22 +0100
Alexander Sack <a...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Paul Sokolovsky
> <paul.sokolov...@linaro.org
> > wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > As the result of implementation of
> >
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-android-infrastructure/+spec/build-config-in-git,
> > android-build.linaro.org now can indirectly fetch build config
> > stored in a git repository. To achieve that, bootstrap config (as
> > specified in android-build.linaro.org) should contain reference to
> > config's repo/branch/file (configuration variables are modeled on
> > the similar MANIFEST_* ones), e.g.:
> >
> > BUILD_CONFIG_REPO=git://
> > git.linaro.org/people/pfalcon/android/linaro/build-configs.git
> > BUILD_CONFIG_BRANCH=master<http://git.linaro.org/people/pfalcon/android/linaro/build-configs.git%0ABUILD_CONFIG_BRANCH=master>
> > BUILD_CONFIG_FILENAME=panda-ics-gcc46-tilt-tracking-blob.conf
> >

> > http://android.git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=linaro/build-configs.git;a=summary
> > was created to store configs for the official builds in the Gerrit
> > tree.
> >
> > Sample job is available here:
> > https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~pfalcon/git-build-config/
> > (it uses personal repo as a test).
> >

> That's a great feature ...
>
> I see a dev now could retrieve that config from git to then reproduce
> an exact build using the same configs and toolchain etc.

Nothing new here, any build's page already contained the exact build
config used for that particular build. E.g.

https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/imx6-ics-gcc47-freescalelt-stable-open/#build=5

shows the exact build config used that build, #5. If a job config was
changed later and new builds fire with new config, that pages still
retains original config used for build #5.

In that respect, storing build configs in git actually makes it all
less visible. That's why I was a bit surprised to receive this request
- I thought that the whole purpose of Android Build is to keep it
visible, explicit, and interactive. Well, we know two major usecases for
configs in git - better change control and mass-editing. But it would
be little more complicated to figure out an answer to questions like
"What kernel tree used in this build?", and to explain (to community
members for example) how to find out answer to that question.

> What kind of
> tools can we offer to make that easy?

So, that's orthogonal to this, and as Andy wrote, it's in works. And
I'm glad that we agreed to abstract that into a script (vs to just
textual instructions), because, again, having build configs in git
just makes it a bit more complex and require more steps to accomplish.

--
Best Regards,
Paul