On 22 March 2012 19:31, Dave Martin <dave.mar...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Now I've had a chance to look into this, it seems that the plague of
> question marks actually seems to arise out of an interaction between
> Mutt and my unusual locale settings.  Basically if your locale settings
> don't support the no-breaking space character then Mutt when quoting
> text for replies will default to a charset which doesn't have it, and
> will replace all non-representable characters with ?
>
> So, it seems that this should only affect people whose mail client
> settings exclude modern charsets like ISO-8859-n and UTF-8 (in my case,
> this was an unintentional side-effect).

Yeah, most people these days don't seem to notice because their
clients can cope with the non-breaking-space, but it's still
pretty poor on gmail's part to be mangling the text in the
first place (not least because it leaves you open to old-school
email types who might choose to flame for quoted-printable).
On the other hand I have gone at least a year replying to patches
on qemu-devel like this without getting any complaints, so maybe
all the old-school types have finally got a unicode aware mail
client :-)

-- PMM