On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Pawel Moll wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 22:56 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > The script to generate a boot script to generate an ATAGS block is a
> > rather nice hack.
>
> These days are, fortunately, long gone :-)

I deduced as much, given your example boot log reported a RTC time in
2004.  Still, that was a nice piece of art IMHO.

> New-ish Boot Monitors (5.x.x versions in particular) speak initrd,
> ATAG _and_ DTB "natively", so one can boot the board with
>
> > fl linux initrd busybox
> > fl linux fdt ca9
> > fl linux boot zimage console=ttyAMA0,38400
>
> It still can't do TFTP though, so it's just a formal remark - I'm not
> trying to "convert" anyone.

I think it is not wrong to have second stage bootloaders.  No need to
duplicate functionality if an existing piece of software does it well
already.

Eventually this is down to personal work habits and preferences.
Having the choice is good.

Nicolas