On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 16:03 +0530, Vijay Kilari wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Jon Medhurst (Tixy) <t...@linaro.org> wrote:

> >> You'll need to provide us more of a clue a to what you are doing.
> >>
> >> 1. When you say 'fails to boot', do you get any messages out of the
> >> serial port? Can you provide a log?
> >>
> No log. Just fails at Starting kernel..
>
> >> 2. You didn't mention that you had enabled CONFIG_BIG_LITTLE=y, this
> >> will be needed and possibly others. We have all the required configs for
> >> all vexpress CoreTiles, including TC2, in linaro/configs/vexpress.conf.
>
> CONFIG_BIG_LITTLE=y is enabled by default with below suggested config.
>
> >> 3. How are you generating the kernel config? In Linaro we use the
> >> command:
> >>
> >> ARCH=arm scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh \
> >>       linaro/configs/linaro-base.conf \
> >>       linaro/configs/android.conf \
> >>       linaro/configs/big-LITTLE-MP.conf \
> >>       linaro/configs/big-LITTLE-IKS.conf \
> >>       linaro/configs/vexpress.conf
> >>

> >> (If you want a plain Linux kernel rather than an Android one, replace
> >> 'android.conf' with 'distribution.conf'.)
> >>

> I generated config with the above command. However I am using Versatile
> express
> with A15x2 and A7x3 (versatile TC2) So I changed
> 1) NR_CPUS=5 in vexpress.conf file

That config just gives the maximum number supported by the kernel, so
leaving it at 8 is OK.

> 2) Used distribution.conf file instead on android.conf
> Also I used vexpress-v2p-ca15_a7.dtb file

One you built yourself from the same source tree as the kernel I assume?
(Device-tree contents still vary with time as features are developed so
it's important to use the dtb made from the same source as the kernel.)

> Result: Hangs at very beginning..
> Logs:
>
>    reserving fdt memory region: addr=ff000000 size=1000000
>
> Starting kernel ..

What bootloader are you using? That output doesn't look like it comes
from UEFI (the bootloader we use and test with in Linaro). Looks like it
might be a U-Boot, so it's possible that is causing the problem. As we
don't use U-Boot I can't really advise on getting thing booting that
way.

> > I guess another good question is does last month's Linaro release boot
> > on your board? E.g. the kernel (zImage or uImage) and dtb
> > (v2p-ca15-tc2.dtb) from:
> > http://releases.linaro.org/13.06/android/vexpress/boot.tar.bz2
> >
> Will test with this release and let you know the result

Would be good, because our release binaries are tested on TC2, A9x4 and
various RTSM models. So we know they work.

--
Tixy