On 8 August 2013 17:35, Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 8 August 2013 03:44, Andy Green <andy.gr...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> These patches give accurate, monotonic timestamps from the very first log
>> entry allowing insight into where the time is going during the whole of
>> the boot process.
>>
>> It's a debug feature like DEBUG_LL, it does not cooperate with
>> ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM (it works with such a kernel though) but can only be
>> enabled
>> for a single platform at compile-time.
>
> I think this kind of only-one-platform compile-time-set feature
> is definitely going in the wrong direction, even for a debug
> feature. It's bad enough that DEBUG_LL works like that.

Yes it's doing the same thing as DEBUG_LL.  DEBUG_LL hides things in a
per-platform assembler file in addition to config.

> Can't you put the relevant information into the device tree
> so that it works on multiplatform kernels? That's the way
> the kernel's chosen to store its "this is the config for
> this platform" data, after all...

I assumed if it could be done, DEBUG_LL would be doing it.

It's starting time in assembler before the MMU is switched on.  I
don't think there's any existing code for walking the dtb at that
time.

Maybe it can start time a bit later after MMU and use the early dtb
walking bits, I'll take a look but it's not a normal situation and may
not have a normal solution.

-Andy