On 30 September 2013 09:52, Chao Xu <caesarxuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Andy! I tried with omap2plus_defconfig and the kernel seemed to be
> working, no more "hub 1-1:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -71)" so far.

FWIW I don't think they are fatal errors for your boot anyway.  If it
was failing to boot it was probably something else.

> But I still don't understand why the config file copied from the /boot
> directory of a 13.07 linaro-ubuntu-pandaboard image doesn't work. I thought
> this was what linaro group used to compile the kernel. Could you explain a
> little more?

Maybe the root cause is elsewhere (U-Boot version?) and
omap2plus_defconfig simply disables the things that are broken by the
root cause on your setup.  So it only looks better.

> Another problem is the ethernet is still not working. Here is what I tried
> to debug this problem:
> 1. 'ifup eth0' replies 'Error getting hardware address for "eth0": No such
> device'.
> 2. 'dmesg| grep eth' shows only this: usbcore: registered new interface
> driver cdc_ether. But on the stock linaro image, it shows a lot more:

Seems no "eth0", you can check with ifconfig -a

> [    2.447448] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
> [    4.287170] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at
> usb-ehci-omap.0-1.1, smsc95xx U
> SB 2.0 Ethernet, 0e:60:7e:2a:4e:01
> [   21.024139] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> [   22.556945] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
> [   22.557800] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa
> 0xCDE1
> [   32.933746] eth0: no IPv6
> 3. Since smsc95xx is the eth driver, so I tried dmesg|grep 'smsc95xx',  it
> shows:
> [    1.830596] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx

Yeah the driver is in but no usb device was probed.

> 4. I suspect it's still a usb problem, because 'lsusb' gives me 'unable to
> initialize libusb: -99".
>
> Could someone give me some suggestions?

You're using the U-Boot that worked on the Linaro image that works?
Linaro toolchain to build the kernel?

Same U-Boot environment pieces, whatever they are nowadays, boot.scr,
ini, txt etc

Same MLO file from the working image?

You copied your modules over as described?

What's your power supply like?

-Andy