On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:44:42 +0200
Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.deche...@linaro.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> first of all, this isn't meant to be a distro trolling discussion,
> there are better places for that ;-)
>
> several days ago google HO started to fail after updating my
> debian/sid setup. as discussed on G+ [1] and on googlegroups [2],
> that seemed to be impacting anyone on debian/sid. when i realized
> that it was working on debian/testing (Jessie) i decided just use
> 'testing'... however since last evening update on 'testing', it
> started to fail too.. leaving me without any working HO at all, which
> is quite inconvenient at Linaro..
>
> after bisecting my system using snapshot.debian.org, i figured out
> which package was the culprit:
>
> # apt-cache policy libcairo2
> libcairo2:
>   Installed: 1.12.14-4
>   Candidate: 1.12.14-4
>   Package pin: 1.12.14-4

Interestingly 1.12.14-5 is *not* a sufficient downgrade, it needs to be
14-4, so it's not the new upstream 1.12.16 which has broken this support.

> Simply downgrading libcairo2 [3] 'fixes' the problem. I know it's not
> 'fixing' it really, but i hope that this will be enough information
> so that the real fix is uploaded.
>
> In the mean time, if any of use use Debian , you can use that as a
> workaround..

I'm assuming that this is a
"proprietary-blob-linked-to-the-wrong-version" bug, but I've had
google-talkplugin force an upgrade on me since this started and that
didn't fix it.

google-talkplugin                     4.6.3.0-1

However, with libcairo2 1.12.14-4, hangouts now work.

Thanks for this investigation. I'll have to see how long the rest of
the desktop continues running with an old version of such a critical
library....

The change in libcairo2 at 14-5 was:
Add gl/egl support back now that wayland has been multi-archified.

http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs/main/c/cairo/unstable_changelog
The change was made to fix:

Neil Williams