On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:35:10 +0000
Wookey <woo...@wookware.org> wrote:

> +++ Neil Williams [2015-12-01 16:52 +0000]:
> > Please let us know if you are using OpenID authentication with
> > LAVA.
>
> I use OpenID whenever I get the chance as one of the few ID protocols
> where I get some control, and don't just have to handover auth to one
> of the dubious web mega-corps, so I am in favour of it being an
> option.

If you fancy helping with
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=806352 ....
:-)

Sadly, there isn't a sane way of combining different authentication
methods on a single instance as it massively complicates the admin
burden of ensuring that the correct users have the correct group
permissions. So when production switched from OpenID and Launchpad to
LDAP run by Linaro internally, it was a switch - not an addition. It
moved the authentication entirely within Linaro instead of going out to
Launchpad.

> I've not used lava much recently (so am rather vague on the
> details without checking), but I might have to use it again soon.

As far as any instance maintained by the Linaro Lab team is concerned,
all logins are now using LDAP internally within Linaro and OpenId has
been disabled already. The two authentication mechanisms are mutually
incompatible as there is no assurance of matching one user to the one
account when logging in using the other. This made the admin burden of
ensuring that the correct users have the correct access to relevant
devices infeasibly complex.

> I think I was logging in via launchpad, which I think means I was/am
> indeed using openID for the webUI?

If you're thinking of validation.linaro.org, you probably did log in
using Launchpad as the admin records show that you haven't logged in
for some time - quite likely before production did the switch to LDAP.
However, your next login will need to use LDAP.

> I also recall something about
> feeding a key into gnome-keyring for command-line access - is that all
> old hat now?

No, that is the lava-tool interface (which can be replaced by simple
xmlrpc scripts if you want to avoid python-keyring).

--

Neil Williams