Hello,

We upgraded from Gerrit 2.8 to 2.10 in the beginning of September, and
it went pretty smooth and let us overcome few annoying issues and enjoy
few new features and better integration with other apps.

Unfortunately, 3 months later, 2.10 also feels old, with 2.12 having
been released in the interim. With various Linaro groups continuing to
leverage advanced Gerrit features and integrations with other apps
(Jenkins, Bugzilla), Systems team faces various bugs and issues. None
of these issues are too grave, but they're quite convoluted and take
much time to be researched and understood. And then we find out that
it's a known issue in 2.10, which was fixed in later versions.

Jenkins' Gerrit integration already requires 2.12 for full
functionality and warns about our version being too old and some
features not supported. Which in turns brings concerns that every
time it doesn't work as expected, it may be because Gerrit plugin is
no longer tested with 2.10 and hits some issue pertaining to it.

With that in mind, Systems team would like to start planning for
next Gerrit upgrade, and move straight to the latest, 2.12.

To remind, the reason we didn't upgrade to 2.11 last time, was because
2.10 was the last version which included old-style change review
screen, and we wanted to provide smoother transition and let people to
try the new screen at their own pace. So, if you still use the old
design, please go to https://review.linaro.org/#/settings/preferences ,
and in "Change View:" dropdown, select "New Screen", and give it a
chance with the help of this doc:
https://review.linaro.org/Documentation/user-review-ui.html

And if you have any concerns regarding the upgrade, please speak up now.

Otherwise, we can do it in one of the following timeframes:

1. Upgrade in January.
2. Upgrade a bit later, but still before the Connect.
3. Discuss and plan upgrade at the Connect.

Systems team votes for the choice 1, upgrade next month (apparently, by
the end of), as that will allows us to deliver smoother Gerrit
experience to other teams, instead of firefighting older version issues.

Thanks,
Paul